A pet’s oral health is just as important as their overall health, but did you know it’s also one of the most neglected? Over time, this can lead to gum disease, which can eventually affect the heart, liver, and kidneys if left untreated. The good news is that this disease can be prevented with routine veterinary care and at-home dental care. At Orillia Pet Hospital, we take a proactive approach to dental health to prevent gum disease by offering professional dental cleaning services, digital X-rays, extractions (if necessary), and at-home recommendations.
About Your Pet’s Dental Cleaning
We’ll begin your pet’s dental cleaning with an oral exam prior to placing them under anesthesia. Once your pet is anesthetized, we perform a second exam and proceed with the following steps:
- Step 1: Ultrasonic scaling (cleaning): To remove plaque and tartar from above the gum line
- Step 2: Root scaling and planning: To remove calculus from the root surface and smooth out roughened root surfaces
- Step 3: Polishing: To smooth out any defects and remove any residual plaque from the surface of the teeth
- Step 4: Irrigation (water spray): To remove plaque and diseased tissue from the gingival pocket
- Step 5: Fluoride treatment: To harden and protect teeth enamel
- Step 6: Digital X-rays: To examine the teeth below the gum line to evaluate the presence or degree of gum disease
- Step 7: Charting: To record any abnormalities, such as feline oral resorptive lesions or fractured teeth, before treatment
- Step 8: Personalized oral care solutions: To correct or prevent any dental problems found in Step 7
At-Home Dental Care
After your pet’s dental cleaning, we can provide advice and recommendations to help you maintain good oral health for your pet between visits. We can also provide you with some complementary tooth-brushing demonstrations. At-home dental care combined with professional dental care can ensure that your pet enjoys healthy teeth and gums for life! Give us a call if you’d like to schedule an Orillia pet dentistry appointment.